Thursday, November 11, 2021

The Promotion


 When I received the promotion I knew I had made the right decision to work at CFA. I had a great sense of pride that I could do this job and do it at a high level. I remember sitting down with LaTisha the other AM Supervisor and hearing some good words of wisdom from her. 

We were both on break and she was asking me how everything was going? At that time the promotion had just gone public and she was filling me in on how some of the team was taking the news. Most were excited for me but others were disappointed and some actually mad at me for receiving the job. 

Honestly it had nothing to do with me, but rather not receiving the promotion themselves. Which is understandable. Every time you receive a promotion it means someone else does not. This is why it is even more important to be humble and selfless. We have to remember when we are part of a team a promotion does not impact you alone but the whole team. 

A promotion changes your role but it should not change you. Keep doing what you were doing, work hard and learn you new role. Do not get a big head. Remember where you started. Pay attention to the team members and encourage them even more. 

When you face adversity and have been picked over for a job ask yourself and your leader why you may not have received the promotion. Then improve in the areas they mention. Continue to work hard and encourage the team around you. How you react to disappointing news will prove to your leaders that you are able to handle a leadership role and more responsibility. 

I have seen it both ways. I have seen people become bitter about not receiving a promotion and it hurts the team and creates a toxic culture. This can lead to two paths, they eventually move on. It could be their decision or that of leadership. 

LaTisha did have some good advice. She said that it would eventually blow over and people would get over it. Every one respected me and they understood life experience (which I had plenty of) helped me in this way. 

LaTisha would go on to be one of my sounding boards at CFA and I am very glad we had the opportunity to work together. She will go on to do amazing things. I was inspired by her adversity and everything she battled in life to get her to where she is. 

No comments: